One more step in the ongoing process of turning all of Brooklyn’s old churches into expensive private residences: this church on North 6th St. in Williamsburg, which, after being snapped up by developers in 2011, just secured $37 million in funding to be turned into an enormous 92-unit rental, The Real Deal reports.
In conjunction with an adjacent former school also purchased by the firm, the property is set to become a 78,773-square-foot complex that we don’t expect will come too cheap. The church, designed by architect Patrick Keely, had been in the neighborhood sine 1869, and when the sale first went through, residents scrambled to save artifacts like 2,977-pound bronze bell and bemoaned the possibility that the place would be turned into condos. Some took it further: “It’s not OK to close down the church and put up a strip bar,” one pastor even told Brooklyn Paper at the time. Well, yeah. At least not every dire prediction about this development came true.
Follow Virginia K. Smith on Twitter @vksmith.