Oct 20, 2017
Cook Beautiful Author Athena Calderone On Her New Cookbook
A little over a week ago, we sat down with DUMBO resident, interior designer, entertaining expert, and founder of EyeSwoon, Athena Calderone, who just released her first cookbook, Cook Beautiful. The book gives recipes that take readers from prep to presentation, reminding us that how food looks matters just as much as how it tastes. Check our Facebook Live with Athena, and make sure to check out one of her recipes below!
Delicata Squash Agrodolce
- 2 delicata squash (about 2 pounds/910 g total), seeds removed and cut into ½-inch (12-mm) rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) honey, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced red habanero chile, or 1 red Fresno chile, minced
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 large lime, grated and juiced
- 5 or 6 fresh sage leaves, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pepitas, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190˚C). Place the squash in a large bowl and drizzle it with the oil and 2 tablespoons of the honey. Season with salt and pepper and toss until evenly coated.
Transfer the squash to two large rimmed baking sheets, spreading it in a single layer. Roast until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes per side, flipping the squash halfway through baking.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the habañero, vinegar, lime juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons honey to a boil. Season with a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes.
Just before serving, spoon the agrodolce over the squash. Garnish with the sage, pepitas, and lime zest.