Anyway: DNAinfo reports that, no, you weren’t imagining that Prospect Park smelled like cleaning supplies last night. In fact, “the pungent smell of ammonia wafted through the area around 8:30 p.m., hitting commuters and late-night joggers with what felt like ‘tear gas,'” and it was all due to “an ammonia leak” at the LeFrak skating rink, which “sent nine firefighters and one other person to the hospital for minor inhalation problems Wednesday night.”
In case you thought that the ice in skating rinks was just comprised of water, think again. DNAinfo further reports that “ammonia is typically used in a liquid form in the refrigeration systems at ice rinks, but turns into a ‘corrosive, toxic gas’ if it is released into the air.” The more you know!
Luckily, none of the injuries was serious, and the rink and park are fully operational today. So go skating if you want. Go jogging! Do it even though running is the worst. But maybe bring a little portable container of maple syrup with you to just sniff once in awhile, so you can remember more innocent times, before our air was literally toxic and the rats had taken over.